Friday, September 25, 2009

God Is in Control

I realize that today’s entry is long, but the meetings yesterday reminded me of the urgency of sharing God’s love in our world. Today I finished Proverbs 20, read 21 and half of 22. This verse reminded me of current events:

Proverbs 21:1 The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.

News reports have told about various leaders speaking at the meeting of the United Nations in New York. I wonder how many of those leaders acknowledge God’s power. Whether they believe it or not, God can and will move them to carry out His plan. Even though it sometimes seems to us that world events are out of control, God has a plan—He is still in control. I can’t help thinking of another scripture in which God is speaking to Sennacherib, King of Assyria—2 Kings 19:28 Because thy rage against me and thy tumult is come up into mine ears, therefore I will put my hook in thy nose, and my bridle in thy lips, and I will turn thee back by the way by which thou camest.

God can still use the hook and bridle to move kings and other leaders. And as difficult as it sometimes is, we must trust His timing as he directs world events and fulfills the prophecies of the scriptures—His own words.

I read 2 Corinthians 12 and chose verse 15 to share today.
2 Corinthians 12:15 And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved.
While we are waiting for the Lord to carry out His plan, we are to be busy about His business in the world. He commanded us to love one another, and we should GLADLY serve others in love even if they don’t return the sentiment.

The Association meetings were even better than I anticipated. In the afternoon session Mark Zimmerman presented an inspired and very challenging church growth message with the theme “When love for God adds up, God adds on”. In the evening session, three men shared personal stories of growth in their churches. Jim Evans from Kimberling City told about their “Love Wins” program in which they had people from the church do volunteer work for people living near the church who could not have done it on their own. They were clearly demonstrating God’s love. Dennis Webb from New Beginnings Fellowship spoke of the challenges and rewards they have faced recently. They were about to finish their new building when Satan attacked them from several fronts. Their church van had a wreck while bringing young people to Wednesday night services, and then a few days later the youth minister died. In spite of this, they had services in their new building on that Sunday morning and many souls were saved. The young people are determined to carry on with God as their youth minister and bring honor to the friend who went home to be with the Lord. Art Hicklin, the awesome pastor from my own Fremont Hills Baptist Church, told about our scripture distribution program and the vow made by many of our members to read the scripture daily for the rest of our lives. He talked about the importance of Vacation Bible School and revival meetings in creating excitement among members and bringing the lost to salvation. I wish more people could have experienced the blessing of attending the services last night; I know God was glorified in all that was said and done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers