Thursday, October 8, 2009

Christmas Is Coming

Today I read Isaiah 7, 8, 9 and Ephesians 5:1-22. My favorite verses are:

Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Ephesians 5:19-20 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

With my new role in the Christmas production at Stained Glass Theatre, it is no wonder these Christmas verses jumped out at me as I read them. It is wonderful that thoughts turn more to our Lord at Christmas time, but it would be better if we were more mindful of him the year round. The verse in Ephesians reminds us to give thanks ALWAYS, not just during the “holiday season”. The Child born in Bethlehem is Immanuel—God with us; but He is also The mighty God and The everlasting Father. He is not limited to one place or time, he is always everywhere and should be worshiped always everywhere in our lives.

Ephesians 5:19 spoke to me in another way as well. I have told my church family that music is my therapy. When I grieved for my loss at the death of my husband last year, I played the piano and sang songs to God. When I rejoiced over victories during the Evangelism Conference and in Vacation Bible School and our Revival, I sang songs to God. In the past two weeks as God has richly blessed me, I continue to sing songs to God. Whether you sing as I do or worship in other ways, draw close to God today and give thanks for all things in the name of Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers