Monday, January 18, 2010

Be Faithful in Word and Work

Today (January 17) I read Genesis 29:21-30:36 and Matthew 14:25-15:17. My favorite verses are:

Genesis 30:28 And he said, Appoint me thy wages, and I will give it.

Matthew 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

Verse 28 is Laban saying to his son-in-law Jacob that he will pay whatever wages Jacob names. Laban had become prosperous through Jacob’s good management of his sheep and goats. He did not want Jacob to leave, so he offered to let Jacob “name his wages”. Faithful, trustworthy employees are often rewarded with promotions and better pay. God wants His children to be that kind of workers; we should work for our earthly employers as faithfully as we work for God. God wants us to draw near to Him with our hearts, not with deceitful words. A Christian’s words as well as his works should be pleasing to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers