Friday, November 13, 2009

Saved to the Uttermost

Today I read Jeremiah 46:13-48:40 and Hebrews 7:10-8:2. My favorite verses are:

Jeremiah 46:28 Fear thou not, O Jacob my servant, saith the LORD: for I am with thee; for I will make a full end of all the nations whither I have driven thee: but I will not make a full end of thee, but correct thee in measure; yet will I not leave thee wholly unpunished.

Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

These verses speak to us of God’s forgiving Spirit. God loved His chosen people referred to here as “Jacob my servant”. They sinned against Him over and over; they worshipped other gods and refused to obey His commands. And He punished them “in measure”. In His great mercy he did not destroy them; He allowed them to return to the Promised Land. We too sin against God, and His mercy is extended to us just as it was to the descendants of Jacob. Those of us who seek salvation through Christ Jesus are saved “to the uttermost”. This complete salvation is evident as our Savior lives forever making intercession for us to His Father. He does not forsake us when we fail; rather, He speaks to the Father on our behalf, and we are forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers