Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Fire in the bones

Today I read Jeremiah 20:6-23:6 and 2 Timothy 3:11-4:14. My favorite verses are:

Jeremiah 20:9 Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

When someone answers God’s call to preach or teach, God places within him a burning fire that compels him to preach or teach. If someone who is truly called decides it is too hard and wants to give up, he will find that giving up is also very hard. The Spirit of God will convict that one of the obligation to share the word of God. Just as Paul reminded Timothy to be longsuffering in his ministry, it is important for those called of God today to continue in the ministry even when it is difficult. It is much easier to let God lead than to have him push!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers