Saturday, March 6, 2010

Honor the Elderly

Today I read Leviticus 18:13-19:37 and Luke 2:41-3:17. My favorite verses are:

Leviticus 19:32 Thou shalt rise up before the hoary head, and honour the face of the old man, and fear thy God: I am the LORD.

Luke 2:52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

I am sure that Jesus respected the elderly because he grew in favor with God, and God had commanded His people to honour the elderly. If we fear God, if we have reverence for Him, then we will have respect for those who are old. I fear that today’s society does not teach us to respect the elderly; they are often cast aside for convenience sake. I realize that it is often necessary to place them in homes where they receive needed care that cannot be given by family members. But I believe some are “put away” because family members do not want to be bothered with their care. God expects us to love one another; this is especially true of family. How are your family relationships? Do you need to make changes in order to be pleasing to God the Father?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers